Monday, September 22, 2008

R.I.P. TRL


For those old enough to remember a pleasantly plump Carson Daly and videos played in their entirety probably won't be sad to know that Total Request Live is going off the air. It's the end of an era, really: George Bush was just a goofy governor from Texas; Iraq was a country, not a war; investment bankers could still afford $15 cocktails and $300 hookers; and your sister, in her Catholic school uniform, threw her digital watch at the television when the Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way" debuted at a measly no. 8.

So goodbye screaming teens and crush-worthy Carson. You made my 3:00-4:00 pm special.

1 comment:

emily said...

That slate article is AMAZING. the few lines about Paper Planes say everything that needs to be said about MTV and music and culture. I'm glad we get to witness the slow and painful death of MTV after it's wreaked so much havoc on the world.

The fact that Alicia Keys is on there makes me think things might not be that bad. And Jason Mraz is also a good musician whose music I am not ashamed to say I have enjoyed.

TRL is embarrassing and should have died a long time ago though. I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with a generation of girls in pink tank tops who wish they had the humanity to cry over the state of their facebook profiles and naked photos. And um, T.I.? Thank you for creating a generation of rich white children who listen to your music and reinforce everything negative.

That Aaliyah song is dope. Way better than the BSB.