Wednesday, June 4, 2008

People with no sense of humor are great!

Do you ever have a conversation with a person and get the feeling that they are offended by your every utterance? Then, by the time you try to figure out why, they think you are a complete douche; they are unable to comprehend how you can be so disagreeable and borderline mean. In turn, you become puzzled as to why this person is taking you so seriously. Finally it makes sense when you come to the realization that this person you have been conversing with clearly does not pick up on sarcasm.

This has happened to me more than I care to think about, and let me tell you it is one of the single most frustrating occurrences. Essentially, every sentence ends up being followed with the "just kidding," disclaimer, which just gets annoying (for me and I can only imagine the person I am talking to), but at the same time is very hard to stop.

I am not quite sure when I mastered my sense of sarcasm or when it became such an integral part of my day to day interactions. I have always wondered whether it is something you are born with or whether it is something you pick up in a social setting. Well, for anyone else who can relate to this dilemma, all your questions can now be answered (not really but there was an interesting article on the science of sarcasm).

The article does give a little insight into why the above frustration occurs. Or, maybe people really are just dumb.

No comments: