Wednesday, February 27, 2008

sign of the apocalypse


My mom took me to the Clinique counter at the King of Prussia Mall for my 14th birthday. I learned what makeup colors look best on me (purples and browns compliment blue eyes) and how to apply mascara (start from the base of the lash for the fullest effect). I was a freshman in high school and was into makeup and fashion. Now, this wasn't my debut into the makeup world- I'd be dying my hair and waxing my brows since I was in 7th grade. But this was my rite into womanhood- the part of womanhood that involves looking pretty.
To no one's surprise, "kids today" are starting their beauty/pampering regime much earlier. Much earlier. The New York Times reported on a group of girls-the youngest of whom was six- getting "mani/pedis" at themed parties aimed at very young girls. Sign of the apocalypse: the phrase "makeover" being utilized by six-year-olds.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/fashion/28Skin.html?hp

1 comment:

so said...

this is beyond sickening. i wasn't allowed to wear makeup until i was 13 and who knows with nail polish. if you can't drive yourself to the nail salon then stay home.