Monday, February 4, 2008

The Key to Success

I'm starting to realize I'm most productive when I'm not doing the work I should be doing. When I have a paper due, you can bet that my room is immaculate, the dishes are clean, and I’ve probably done all other (easier) work for my classes. After all, the only way to guiltlessly avoid writing a paper is to find something else productive to do. When all other more minor assignments are done (work, mind you, that would not even have been done at all if it hadn’t suddenly become the lesser of two evils), I’ll begin preliminary research for my essay by checking out Wikipedia. Quickly losing interest in what I should be researching, I’ll click the little blue hyperlinks (I don’t think I’ve ever made it through a full article) and all of a sudden I’ve gone from one article, to the next, to the next, until I’ve ended up somewhere that's totally unrelated to where I began. How else would I know what the lithosphere is?
Fine, my paper isn’t done, but look at everything else I’ve accomplished! So I have to wonder: is procrastination a dangerous evil, or really, the key to success?

2 comments:

elsa said...

key to success, for sure.

emily said...

If necessity is the mother of invention, procrastination is the mother of everything useless and cool. i.e. your calendars are almost done.